The photo is from across the road towards the town green or “common” in this sometimes quaint New England town where we are perched for the holidays. It used to be that a pasture, central to a group of houses, was kept free for common use. People in a town could graze their cattle nearby without having to rely on pastures in the wild outside of the village.
The church, dedicated in 1824, is home to a Unitarian-Universalist congregation which formed some years before.
The church faces “(upper) Boston Post Road”, one of the old direct paths by horse, wagon or foot between Boston and New York. Before colonialism the path was used by Native Americans to go from the coast inland and back.
Christmas Eve 2016