A windmill along the beach appears in old photographs of the town and beyond. In later photos it is missing.
The mill’s foundation is still visible today beneath the waves in front of the “Σουελ” cafe and “Ambeliki” taverna.
Leaving aside for a moment the wisdom of erecting a building exposed to the northern wind and waves at the sea edge, the long standing and impressive mill disappeared sometime in the late first half of the 20th century. The coast has eroded to leave the foundation about 20 meters from the current shoreline and now the sea barely covers the remains.
What changed the coastal morphology enough to swamp the mill? As a photo of the paralia (below) from 1906 shows, the sandy shoreline extended along the harbor to about the building which now houses the police office. Gradually over the years the new construction which filled in the beach and extended the solid paralia shoreline into the harbor, and the lengthened big jetty and the creation of a newer jetty (now gone) where the Flying Cat/Dolphins land, may have shifted currents enough to erode the landscape around and behind the mill. By the time a “formal” road from the little bridge at the mouth of the stream out towards the “Asklepion” was built the mill was probably gone and the coastline assumed its present profile.
In his book “Skopelos Folk Culture”, Adamantios Sampson lists names of various areas around the island. In the section “Livadi – Miloi – Prasia” he has “Τ’ Μουστάκα ο μύλος”. Might this have been the mill of Moustaka? Just asking…