Anyone looking for information about Skopelos, the Northern Sporades, Volos and Magnesias will eventually encounter images and stories of the beautiful and legendary ship “Κύκνος”.
Designed as a private yacht, it was purchased with loans from the Greek State made available after WW II. She came into service in 1947 first connecting Volos with Halkida and Epidsos (Evvia) and from 1952 performed regular runs to the Northern Sporades. The ship also connected the Northern Sporades with Agios Konstantinos.
Considered very seaworthy and comfortable because of the shape of its hull and draft, The Swan could sail up to 15 mph which was speedy for the time.
The Swan was active as a passenger ship for 27 years and finished her service in October 1974 (at the end of the “season”!) captained by Kyriakos Mastrokolias.